These are the excruciating injuries of an 11-year-old girl who had boiling water poured over her by a friend at a sleepover as part of a sick Facebook trend.

Jamoneisha Merritt is in hospital in Harlem, New York, with second degree burns and her 12-year-old attacker has been arrested.

Jamoneisha’s face, shoulders and back are severely burned and have skin missing.

The girl’s family say the pair were best friends and that the 12-year-old was carrying out the ‘hot water challenge’, a worrying social media prank which involves tossing scalding water on an unsuspecting victim.

Scroll down for video 

Jamoneisha was asleep when she had the water thrown on her at her friend’s home in The Bronx on Monday night.

According to her mother Ebony, the attacker waited until she went to sleep then boiled water and filled a cup with it.

She poured it on Jamoneisha’s head, neck, face and chest.

She sat up suddenly, screaming and crying, and was taken to hospital.

‘Her friends wanted to play the hot water challenge and that’s what happened,’ Ebony said on social media, sharing a photograph of her little girl screaming in agony as doctors tried to treat her burns.

Jamoneisha remains in the intensive care unit at Harlem Hospital Center.

Her mother shared photographs of her injuries online in an attempt to show children how dangerous the prank is.

‘I can’t take it down. I need for these kids to know how serious this is,’ she said.

Other relatives described Jamoneisha as a ‘caring’ and ‘kindhearted’ little girl.

Jamoneisha’s mother said the other children had been bullying her daughter and that they often picked on her.

She said her daughter is ‘confused’ and ‘upset’ by the attack and that she thought they were her friends.

‘She’s very sad. She’s emotionally messed up.

‘She don’t understand why they did that to her. She thought they was her friends.

‘I was told that they didn’t like her. And they just been bullying her,’ she told Spectrum News 1. 

The prank is a variation of a similar trend which saw another girl, 11, die after drinking boiling water through a straw.

Eight-year-old Ki’ari Pope died earlier this month after copying a video of others doing the same.