The National Hijack Prevention Academy has compiled a list of the most popular spots in South Africa’s major metros when it comes to hijacking.
Crime statistics released by the South African Police Service earlier in the year showed that cases of hijacking increased significantly.
According to the SAPS, there were over 14,600 reported car hijackings between 2015 and 2016, up 14.3% from 12,770 cases in the prior period.
Statistically, this shows that 40 cars are hijacked every day in South Africa (35 in 2015), or roughly one car every 36 minutes.
As has always been the case, car and truck hijacking is most common in South Africa’s most populated province, Gauteng, followed by other built up provinces such as KwaZulu Natal and the Western Cape.
Gauteng accounts for over half (50.5%) of all reported car hijackings – with 7,376 cases, and 58.% of all reported truck hijackings, with 695 cases.
- Kelvin Street, CR Swart – The corner of Kelvin Street and CR Swart.
- Pretoria Road , CR Swart – The corner of Pretoria Road and CR Swart.
- Elgin Road, Pretoria Road – The corner of Elgin Road and Pretoria Road.
- Linksfield Road, N3 – Linksfield Road off-ramp off the N3.
- Booysens Road, M1 – Booysens Road off-ramp off the M1.
- Nelson Mandela Bridge – The Nelson Mandela Bridge, be alert.
- Wolmarans, Claim, Nugget – Wolmarans between Claim and Nugget.
- Harrow, Saratoga – The corner of Harrow and Saratoga.
- Harrow, Abel – The corner of Harrow and Abel.
- Houghton Drive, M1 – The Houghton Drive off-ramp off the M1.
- Jan Smuts Avenue, St Andrews – The corner of Jan Smuts Avenue and St Andrews.
- 17th Street, Krause Street, Pageview – The corner of 17th Street and Krause Street in Pageview.
- Heidelberg Road, N17 – The Heidelberg Road off-ramp off the N17.
- Kyalami Drive – Traffic lights on Kyalami Drive.
- Beyers Naude, N1 – The Beyers Naude off-ramp off the N1 highway.
- Sunninghill, N1, Rivonia – Rivonia off-ramp off the N1 highway in Sunninghill.
- Midrand, Clayville – Midrand road near Clayville Residents.
- Grayston, Rivonia, 11th Street – The intersection of Grayston and Rivonia and the intersection of Grayston and 11th Street.
- 11th Avenue, Empire Road – 11th Avenue and Empire Road off-ramps.
- Jan Smuts Avenue, William Nicol Drive, Hyde Park – The Jan Smuts Avenue/ William Nicol Drive split in Hyde Park.
- Witkoppen Road – Intersections on Witkoppen Road.
- Bramley Precinct, Wynberg, Bramley, Marlboro, Kew – Bramley Precinct, areas such as Wynberg, Bramley, Marlboro and Kew.
- Yeoville Precinct, Yeoville, Bellevue, Bellevue East – Yeoville Precinct, areas such as Yeoville,Bellevue and Bellevue East.
- Norwood Precinct, Orange Grove, Highlands – The Norwood Precinct, areas such as Orange Grove and Highlands.
- Sandringham Precinct, Glenhazel, Lombardy East, Sandringham – The Sandringham Precinct, areas such as Glenhazel, Lombardy East and Sandringham.
- Parkview Precinct, 11th avenue, 7th Avenue – The Parkview Precinct, areas between the 10th and 11th avenue and 4th and 7th Avenue in Parkhurst.
- Hillbrow Precinct, Upper Houghton, Killarney – The Hillbrow Precinct, areas such as Upper Houghton and Killarney.
- Rosebank Precinct, Saxonwold, Parkwood – The Rosebank Precinct, areas such as Saxonwold and Parkwood.
- Christiaan de Wet, Wilgerood road, Roodepoort – The intersection between Christiaan de Wet and Wilgerood road in Roodepoort.
- Louis Botha Avenue, M11, Hillbrow, Alexandra – Louis Botha Avenue, the M11. Be aware at the traffic lights, especially between Hillbrow and Alexandra.
- Riviera, M1 – Riviera off-ramp coming off the M1.
- Fairland Ex. 6, 11th Avenue, Fairland – 11th Avenue in Fairland, near Fairland Ex. 6.
- Alexandra, 1st Avenue, Pretoria Main road – The corner of Pretoria Main road and 1st Avenue in Alexandra.
- New road, N1, robots – New road off-ramp coming off the N1, be aware at the robots.
- William Nichol, N1 highway – William Nichol off-ramp coming off the N1 highway.
- Beyers Naude Drive, Paul Kruger Street – Beyers Naude Drive and Paul Kruger Street.
- R55, Erasmia – The R55 in Erasmia.
- Burnett Street, Delfi Avenue, Garsfontein Road – Be alert on the following streets, Burnett Street, Delfi Avenue and Garsfontein Road.
- Stormvoel – Be aware at robots on Stormvoel.
- Watermeyer Street– Be aware at robots on Watermeyer Street.
- Nelson Mandela Drive – Be alert at robots on Nelson Mandela Drive.
- Lynwood Road, Simon Vermooten – The crossing at Lynwood Road and Simon Vermooten.
- Lynwood Road, Hans Strijdom – The crossing at Lynwood Road and Hans Strijdom.
- Walker Street – Be alert at robots on Walker Street.
- Duncan Street – Be alert at robots on Duncan Street.
- University Road , Lynwood Road – The corner of University Road and Lynwood Road.
- Rigel Avenue, N1 – The Rigel Avenue off-ramp from off the N1.
- Simon Vermooten Road, Pretoria Street – The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Pretoria Street.
- Simon Vermooten Road, Farrow Street – The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Farrow Street.
- Simon Vermooten Road , Lynwood Road – The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Lynwood Road.
- Lynwood Road, N1 – The Lynwood Road on-ramp from the N1.
- Hans Strydom, N4 – The Hans Strydom off-ramp off the N4 highway.
- Hans Strijdom, R21 – The intersection between Hans Strijdom and the R21.
- Atterbury, N1 – The Atterbury off-ramp off the N1.
- Pretorius Street – Be alert at crossings by Pretorius Street.
- Schoeman Street, Duncan – The crossing at Schoeman Street and Duncan.
- Schoeman Street, Hilda – The crossing at Schoeman Street and Hilda.
- Schoeman Street, Grosvenor – The crossing at Schoeman Street and Grosvenor.
- Voortrekker Road, Bellville, Parow – Voortrekker Road between Bellville and Parow.
- Military Road, Prince George Drive – The Corner of Military Road and Prince George Drive.
- St Stephens Road – Be alert when driving along St Stephens Road.
- Alice Street, Voortrekker Road – Be alert when driving along Alice Street, especially near Voortrekker Road.
- Station Road – Be alert when travelling along Station Road.
- Klipfontein Road – Be alert when travelling along Klipfontein Road.
- Prestwich Road, Ebenhezer – The corner of Prestwich Road and Ebenhezer.
- Vangaurd Drive – Be alert when travelling along Vangaurd Drive.
- R300, N1 – Be aware when travelling on the R300 under the bridges towards the N1 highway.
- Alpine Road – Be aware along Alpine Road.
- West Street – Be aware of crossings on West Street.
- Warwick Avenue , Smith Street – The corner of Warwick Avenue and Smith Street.
Crime Statistics 2015/2016