An angry Port Elizabeth mother has turned to the police and the Department of Education in an attempt to get justice for her teenage daughter whose brutal assault at school was captured on video.
The mother, whose name is being withheld to protect her daughter, said she had begged St Thomas Senior Secondary principal Gregory Appolis for two months to intervene after a fellow 14-year-old pupil assaulted her child, also 14.
But, the mom said, nothing was done until she went to the police.
Appolis, however, said he had always intended to deal with the situation but had wanted to allow the pupils to finish exams before disciplinary action was taken.
The department has, meanwhile, condemned the incident, saying it would introduce its Peace Project to the school.
The video footage of the attack, which took place on September 19, shows the victim standing in a corridor eating a packet of chips when another teen approaches her and starts shouting.
A friend of the attacker then grabs the chips from the girl’s hands before the attacker slaps the teen across the face, drags her to the floor and bashes her head into a wall.
On the floor, the attacker throttles the teen and rips the braids from her head before leaving the girl cowering in the corner.
“Minutes after, she had an asthma attack which was a result of the vicious beating.
“She hasn’t been herself since the attack.”
“My daughter nearly died from that attack and still nothing has been done about it.”
Prior to the assault, the attacker had written a number of angry Facebook posts.
One read: “Am not letting this go until I get someone’s blood … I will beat their a **** if I have to, but I promise on my life that they’ll bow to me soon . . . I mean it when I say I wanna spill blood . . .”
Asked why it had taken so long for the incident to be taken seriously by the school, Appolis said: “During that period, there was a lot of evidence coming forth.
“We needed time to ensure that everything that is being said was true.”
Police spokeswoman Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg confirmed that an assault case had been opened and was being investigated.
Mtima appealed for such incidents to be reported.